Interested in a career in retail? Are you currently enrolled at a Canadian College or University? Do you currently work in retail? You could be eligible for a Retail as a Career Scholarship.
SUPPORTING THE RETAILERS OF TOMORROW!
There are 20 scholarships available – one $5000 Interac Scholarship, one $3000 Canadian Retail Hall of Fame Scholarship and eighteen $1000 Industry-Sponsored Scholarships.
2018 Retail as a Career Scholarship winners will receive:
• Financial assistance for their post-secondary education
• Hotel and travel expenses to come to Toronto on May 29 & 30 to attend STORE – Canada’s BIGGEST Retail Conference – and the Excellence in Retailing Awards Gala
• The opportunity to network and engage with the brightest professionals in the Canadian retail industry at STORE 2018
Scholarship Application Process
Who is eligible to apply?
To be considered for one of the scholarships applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Enrolled full-time or part-time at a Canadian college or university Fall 2018
• Pursuing a retail, business, fashion, marketing or any other retail related post secondary program
Currently working part-time or full-time within the retail industry
What do applicants need in order to apply?
Completed online application profile. Click here to download the 2018 Retail as a Career Scholarship Program Application Guidelines
Official transcript from either high school or post-secondary institution from the last two semesters.
A reference letter (200 words max.) from current employer that includes the following:
• Applicant’s demonstrated and continued commitment to the retail industry
• Ways in which the applicant has distinguished him/herself from other employees
• Reasons indicating why the applicant is deserving of this scholarship
• Current employer/supervisor contact information
The Future of Shopping Presentation:
Develop a Presentation that answers the following topic. Further details can be found in the Application Guidelines
• The future of shopping! Technological innovations such as artificial intelligence, virtual or augmented reality, and the ability to mine data to cater customer offerings develop at breakneck speed. At the same time, consumer behaviour and attitudes continue to evolve, and retailers need to adapt operations to fulfil and delight on these heightened consumer expectations. And, with the increasing proliferation of devices and channels through which retailers and their customers can interact, the world of retail has never been so complex or filled with opportunities to grow and succeed.
With the challenges of today’s retailer in mind, develop a presentation that defines, from your perspective, what the future of the retail shopping experience will look like. How will the retailer of the future build on their successes of today and continue to grow their operations? And, what will be required of them to offer the customer of the future a first-in-class retail experience.
‘Make Retail your Career!” Applicant Statement ((250 words max.)
• A career in retail! Retail is an industry that offers professionals working with new challenges and opportunities every day. It’s fast and exciting and requires talented individuals to fill each role, from frontline customer service and store management to data analysis and cyber security.
Tell us why you’re one of these special professionals. In a 250-word essay, explain your passion for retail and the reasons you want to pursue a career within this exciting and fast-paced industry.
Proof of applicant’s enrollment in a Canadian post-secondary institution. One of the following will suffice:
• Letter of acceptance or conditional letter of acceptance
• Proof of tuition payment
• Letter from Office of Registrar
Interested in applying for a Retail as a Career Scholarship?
Click here to download the 2018 Retail as a Career Scholarship Program Application Guidelines
Please note: This scholarship program is for students who are enrolled in or applying to retail, business, marketing or any other program that has ties to the retail industry post-secondary programs in September 2018. If you are not in one of these programs or attending school in Fall 2018, your application will NOT be considered.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Note: Can we present the questions in an accordion?
How are the applications processed?
• Applications will be reviewed by a panel of retail industry experts
• Every effort will be made to engage a cross-section of Canadian industry professionals who possess a range of experience in the review process
When will applicants know if their submission has been successful?
• The review process typically takes about four to six weeks
• A decision will be made on or around the week of May 15, 2018
What does the selection process involve?
• Applicant’s submissions will be evaluated on the criteria outlined in the “What do applicants need in order to apply?” section
• We are looking to see that applicants have demonstrated an interest in pursuing a career in retail and have put some thought into how they are going to make an impact on the retail industry
Thank you to our 2017 Sponsors for making this scholarship program possible