If a customer refuses to wear a mask, depending on jurisdiction, you may be obligated to point them to alternative options such as curbside pick-up and/or delivery rather than allowing them into the store without a mask. Please refer to RCC’s Mask Requirements by Region page for more information.
- Clearly communicate the need to wear a mask in store via all means including your website, social media and in-store signage.
- Indicate how your business can accommodate customers who cannot wear a mask (e.g. curbside pick-up).
- Have a policy prepared in the event of an escalated situation so that staff know how to handle the situation.
- Politely ask the customer to reconsider wearing a mask if they are refusing to do so.
- Retailers should be mindful that there may not be a viable legal defence to protect them in the event of a physical altercation (e.g. a defence of necessity or avoidance of greater harm).
- If a physical altercation ensues, law enforcement should be called immediately. View CDC US guidance on how to deal with ‘anti-mask’ customers: Limiting workplace violence associated with COVID-19