Maintaining and promoting employee health and safety is one of several core business practices that assists retailers in serving their customers effectively. Protecting employees from injuries such as slips, trips, falls, soft tissue injuries, violence and other hazards has several benefits:
- Increased employee motivation and retention
- Demonstrated social responsibility to customers
- Increased revenue
- Decreased costs associated with compensation claims and compliance orders
- Business continuity
To support this effort, Retail Council of Canada, in collaboration with the WCB Nova Scotia has brought together a series of resources to assist Nova Scotia retailers with the prevention of workplace related injuries and illnesses.
Workplace Incident Cost CalculatorWhen something goes wrong at work, the greatest costs aren't financial at all – they're the human costs for anyone who gets hurt, and the people that care about them. Don't wait until you're picking up the pieces to find out what an incident would cost you. Click here, select Retail, enter your data, and get started today.
Small Business Safety Toolkit
The Small Business Toolkit is designed to help retailers:
- Learn basic duties and responsibilities under the Nova Scotia Health and Safety Act and Regulations
- Put a health and safety system in place to protect your workers from injury and illness at work
- Understand how health and safety plays a role in the day-to-day operation of your business
Create a Safety & Prevention Program
Learn how to create your own safety and prevention program. The following eight steps will help you make safety part of your organization’s culture:
- Leadership and Training
- Develop occupational health and safety policies
- Identify management and employee responsibilities
- Develop occupational health and safety programs
- Establish a Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee / Safety Representative
- Identification and control hazards
- Learning from Experience
- Establish a Return-to-Work Program
Tools, Resources and Publications
Check out these tools and resources to help keep your workplace safe, from safety tips, to videos and other interactive tools.
Programs & Awards
The WCB has a number of initiatives to promote workplace safety and prevention in Nova Scotia.
We’re celebrating excellence in workplace safety! The Mainstay Awards honour Nova Scotians who set the bar in keeping workers safe. Interested? Click to learn more and submit your application.
Young Workers make great employees but they don't always understand the importance of workplace safety. Find tips for parents, employers and youth, to help keep them safe on the job.
Safety Matters Blog
Looking for an updates and information on health and safety in Nova Scotia? Check out WCB Nova Scotia’s Safety Matters blog.
To learn more, please contact: