SUPPORTING THE RETAILERS OF TOMORROW!
There are 20 scholarships available – one $5000 Interac Scholarship, one $3000 Canadian Retail Hall of Fame Scholarship and eighteen $1000 Industry-Sponsored Scholarships.
2017 Retail as a Career Scholarship winners will receive:
- Financial assistance for their post-secondary education
- Hotel and travel expenses to come to Toronto on May 30 & 31 to attend STORE - Canada's BIGGEST Retail Conference - and the Excellence in Retailing Awards Gala
- The opportunity to network and engage with the brightest professionals in the Canadian retail industry at STORE 2017
Scholarship Application Process
Who is eligible to apply?
To be considered for one of the scholarships applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled full-time or part-time at a Canadian college or university Fall 2017
- Pursuing a retail, business or marketing-related program
- Currently working part-time or full-time within the retail industry
What do applicants need in order to apply?
1. Completed online application profile. Applications will be available in January 2018
2. Official transcript from either high school or post-secondary institution from the last two semesters
3. A reference letter (200 words max.) from current employer that includes the following:
- Applicant's demonstrated and continued commitment to the retail industry
- Ways in which the applicant has distinguished him/herself from other employees
- Reasons indicating why the applicant is deserving of this scholarship
- Current employer/supervisor contact information
4. A typed essay (600-800 words) that answers the following topic
The retail industry is one of the fastest moving industries in the world. It’s also an industry in which change and disruption are the norm. Constantly-evolving consumer behaviours and expectations, ever-increasing competition for share of wallet and rising costs of business are just some of the factors that make retail such a challenging, and rewarding, industry to be involved in. To stay on the curve of this change and evolution, and to continue succeeding and growing their brands, retailers must innovate.
Retail innovation takes many forms, including the implementation of technological advancements, both at the front and back-ends of the business, the offering of enhanced customer experiences, in-store and online, the development of manufacturer partnerships to improve production, distribution, packaging and availability of product, and more.
Your task is to select a Canadian retail brand that is excelling when it comes to innovation. In a 600-800 word essay define what Retail Innovation is to this retailer and provide concrete examples of the ways in which the retailer is innovating, to what degree, and how their innovation is improving their business and the experience of their customers? Please provide research and resources to support your position.
5. Proof of applicant's enrollment in a Canadian post-secondary institution. One of the following will suffice:
- Letter of acceptance or conditional letter of acceptance
- Proof of tuition payment
- Letter from Office of Registrar
Intersted is applying for a Retial as a Career Scholarhsip? Applications will be available in January 2018
Please note: This scholarship program is for students who are enrolled in or applying to retail, business or marketing post-secondary programs in September 2017. If you are not in one of these programs or attending school in Fall 2017, your application will NOT be considered.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How are the applications processed?
- Applications will be reviewed by a panel of retail industry experts
- Every effort will be made to engage a cross-section of Canadian industry professionals who possess a range of experience in the review process
When will applicants know if their submission has been successful?
- The review process typically takes about four to six weeks
- A decision will be made on or around the week of May 15, 2017
What does the selection process involve?
Applicant's submissions will be evaluated on the criteria outlined in the "What do applicants need in order to apply?" section
We are looking to see that applicants have demonstrated an interest in pursuing a career in retail and have put some thought into how they are going to make an impact on the retail industry
Thank you to our 2017 Sponsors for making this scholarship program possible