RCC x Leger Holiday Shopping Survey 2023October 17, 2023
NOW AVAILABLE FOR RCC MEMBERS: Comprehensive 103-page report.
An impressive 90% of Canadians plan to shop this holiday season yet 88% (83% in 2022) will be more vigilant than ever in seeking value. This 103-page report, based on the findings from asking 2,500 Canadians is filled with compelling infographics, regional charts, and examples guiding retailers on how to cater to 2023's holiday shoppers. Read press release.
KEY 2023 FINDINGS:
• Canadians predict they will spend an average holiday expenditure of $898, a rise from last year’s $782.
• To manage economic apprehensions, Canadians are prioritizing holiday sales/promotions (66%) and free shipping (55%). Shoppers are looking for value in the overall shopping experience. For in-store, they are seeking exclusive offers (48%), value bundles (26%) and product sampling (25%). Online, they are looking for distinct online promotions (60%).
• The survey highlighted anticipated increases in shopping intentions for: Singles Day (10%, up from 5% in 2022), Black Friday (40%, up from 28% in 2022), Cyber Monday/Week (37%, up from 21% in 2022), and Boxing Day (32%, up from 18% in 2022).
• The report’s depth also provides insights into distinct provincial shopping habits. For example, British Columbia residents might spend around $860 (vs the national average of $898), but Maritimers lead the country with their expected average spend of $1,110. Quebecers on the other hand though report their spending will potentially be below the national average at $663. Quebecers are also likely to show self-gift more, be more influenced by message around sustainability, faster shipping, and allocating a larger chunk of their budget entertaining at home.
• A new feature of this year’s report is a section by Moneris, Canada’s leading provider of innovative and unified solutions for mobile, online, and in-store payments. It provides a snapshot of historical spending data to complement areas that focus on consumers’ reported shopping intentions.
Non-members: If you are interested in accessing this and other RCC member exclusive reports and resources, please contact our team at email@example.com
Please contact Michelle Wasylyshen