Type of Information Collected
RCC may collect from and use information about the users of this Web site. This information falls into a number of different categories:
- When a user fills in an electronic form on the Web site, RCC may collect a user’s name, position, business address, telephone number, fax number, business e-mail and financial information (including credit card information) required to process orders of goods and services.
- A user may provide information which personally identifies a user (“Personal Information”) to RCC when completing a registration or placing an order. Unless a user provides the minimum information noted on RCC’s Web site, the user may be unable to complete transactions.
- RCC may collect the e-mail addresses of users who communicate with RCC via e-mail and who wish to receive information from RCC, such as member notices, RCC’s electronic newsletters, etc.
- RCC may collect business information volunteered by users, for uses such as survey information. This information is kept confidential by RCC and is not used for any purposes outside of the stated intent of the survey without the express consent of the participant. Aggregated or anonymized survey results that do not identify individual users may be used and disclosed by RCC.
- The RCC Web site may use “Cookies”, which are small data files that are placed on an individual user’s computer. The Cookie identifies your browser and not personal information about you, such as your name.
- The RCC Web site automatically collects certain user information which is customarily logged by Internet servers, including the Internet Protocol address (“IP address”) through which users access the Internet, the date and time of access, and the Internet address of the Web site from which a user linked to this Web site (“User IP Information”).
How Information is Used
The reason for the collection of information on the Web site and uses which are made of the information which is collected depends on the nature of the information.
- RCC may use contact information (i.e. name, job title, business address, telephone number, fax number, and business e-mail) to inform users on a periodic basis by electronic newsletters, correspondence, phone calls, faxes and e-mails about industry issues, events, products and services of interest to your business. Members may also receive from time to time, phone calls, correspondence or e-mails from RCC affiliated trade associations and select sponsors associated with RCC who provide information about industry issues, events, products and services of interest to your business.
- User IP information may be used to measure the number of visitors to the different sections of this Web site, and to help make the RCC Web site more useful to users.
- RCC may use User IP Information or Cookie information collected on and through the RCC Web site to improve the design and content of the Web site. User IP Information and Cookie information may also be used for statistical purposes or to evaluate what portions of the Web site are more popular than others, determine where visitors came from, and where they go within the Web site, and how long visitors stay on a particular page, or on the Web site in general.
- In certain limited circumstances, RCC may be required or permitted by law to disclose Personal Information, such as to the police in the course of a criminal investigation.
How Your Information is Protected
RCC uses commercially reasonable steps to keep any Personal Information which it collects about users secure from unauthorized access, deletion or alteration, but, as with any communication of information over the Internet, there is a risk that data will be intercepted or otherwise interfered with by third parties. RCC will have no liability to users if Personal Information is intercepted or otherwise interfered with by third parties. Users should take precautions to ensure that others do not access their Personal Information; such precautions include the use of passwords and encryption and turning off the computer when finished using it.
RCC treats all information collected on our Web site as securely as possible. RCC’s Web site uses SSL or “Secure Sockets Layer”, an industry-standard security protocol, to process credit card transactions for the purpose of events registration, membership registration, and magazine subscriptions. When users connect with RCC’s secure server, the communication between the browser and the secure server is encrypted.
Transferring of Personal Information
RCC may use third parties to provide services or functionality relating to the RCC Web site. As a result, Personal Information may be transferred to one or more third parties, such as a data processor or fulfillment agency for processing relating to these services or functionality. RCC will ensure that any such third parties do not use such Personal Information for their own purposes and that Personal Information is safeguarded to the same standards as are used by RCC.
Sharing of Contact Information
RCC may share contact information with its affiliated trade associations so that users can be informed about industry issues, events, products and services of interest to your business. Contact information that is limited to name, job title, business address and telephone number may also be shared with select sponsors of RCC events. Contact fax numbers and e-mail addresses will not be provided to sponsors.
Access to Personal Information
Upon request, RCC will provide an individual with details of any Personal Information about him or her, which RCC has in its possession or control. RCC can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Retail Council of Canada, 1881 Yonge Street, Suite 800, Toronto, ON M4S 3C4 Attention: Privacy Officer.
Opting Out and Correcting Your Information
If you would like to remove your name from RCC’s electronic participation lists please let us know by contacting us at email@example.com or by mail to Retail Council of Canada, 1881 Yonge Street, Suite 800, Toronto, ON M4S 3C4 Attention: Privacy Officer or by following the “unsubscribe” instructions in our electronic newsletters and e-mails.
If you wish to correct the information that we have about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Retail Council of Canada, 1881 Yonge Street, Suite 800, Toronto, ON M4S 3C4 Attention: Privacy Officer.
Collection of Information by Third Parties
This Web site may contain links to Web sites which may be operated by third parties whose information and privacy practices may be different than RCC’s. These links are provided solely for convenience. Users should consult the privacy notices on such other sites. RCC may have no control over any information that is submitted to, or collected by, these third parties and is not responsible for the content of any such third party Web sites. Accessing and viewing of any such third party Web site is conducted at the user’s own risk.