SUPPORTING THE RETAILERS OF TOMORROW!
There are 22 scholarships available this year – one $5000 Interac Scholarship, one $3000 Canadian Retail Hall of Fame Scholarship and twenty $1000 Industry-Sponsored Scholarships.
2016 Retail as a Career Scholarship winners will receive:
- Financial assistance for their post-secondary education
- Hotel and travel expenses to come to Toronto on May 31 & June 1 to attend STORE - Canada's BIGGEST Retail Conference - and the Excellence in Retailing Awards Gala
- The opportunity to network and engage with the brightest professionals in the Canadian retail industry at STORE 2016
Scholarship Application Process
Who is eligible to apply?
To be considered for one of the scholarships applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled full-time or part-time at a Canadian college or university Fall 2016
- Pursuing a retail, business or marketing-related program
- Currently working part-time or full-time within the retail industry
What do applicants need in order to apply?
1. Completed online application profile
2. Official transcript from either high school or post-secondary institution from the last two semesters
3. A reference letter (200 words max.) from current employer that includes the following:
- Applicant's demonstrated and continued commitment to the retail industry
- Ways in which the applicant has distinguished him/herself from other employees
- Reasons indicating why the applicant is deserving of this scholarship
- Current employer/supervisor contact information
4. A typed essay (500-700 words) that answers the following questions
Creating an exceptional customer experience – the kind of experience that customers talk about, describing it to their friends and families, even strangers – is the Holy Grail for every retailer. How they each attempt to achieve that experience for customers is a different story, and involves many moving parts. Everything from superior customer service and the availability of merchandise to the right pricing and post-purchase care goes toward creating that experience. But each retailer will place differing emphasis on each of these pieces to create their respective experiences, depending on each of their value propositions. However, one thing that every great retailer offering great experiences for their customers all share is a great corporate and brand culture.
Everyone knows that culture is formed at the top. But, not everyone knows what an exceptional culture is. What are the elements that feed into a great corporate and brand culture? And, how is the great corporate and brand culture cultivated and preserved?
5. Proof of applicant's enrollment in a Canadian post-secondary institution. One of the following will suffice:
- Letter of acceptance or conditional letter of acceptance
- Proof of tuition payment
- Letter from Office of Registrar
Please note: This scholarship program is for students who are enrolled in or applying to retail, business or marketing post-secondary programs in September 2016. If you are not in one of these programs or attending school in Fall 2016, your application will NOT be considered.
Deadline to apply is March 31, 2016.
How are the applications processed?
- Applications will be reviewed by a panel of retail industry experts
- Every effort will be made to engage a cross-section of Canadian industry professionals who possess a range of experience in the review process
When will applicants know if their submission has been successful?
- The review process typically takes about four to six weeks
- A decision will be made on or around the week of May 15, 2016
What does the selection process involve?
Applicant's submissions will be evaluated on the criteria outlined in the "What do applicants need in order to apply?" section
We are looking to see that applicants have demonstrated an interest in pursuing a career in retail and have put some thought into how they are going to make an impact on the retail industry
Thank you to our 2016 Sponsors for making this scholarship program possible