- The health care provider who makes the diagnosis has the obligation to call and inform Public Health right away.
- The Public Health official will conduct the investigation and contact the employer, notifying them about the investigation.
- Any disclosure to other employees must respect privacy legislation and be done in accordance with advice from the public health unit.
- Specific requirements vary by jurisdiction. At a minimum, restrict access to area(s) the employee worked and comprehensively disinfect the premises using a Health Canada-approved disinfectant.
- Continue to practice physical distancing, regular handwashing and other regularly prescribed COVID-19 mitigation protocols
- Generally, an employer is not obligated to inform customers. Public Health officials will conduct an investigation and provide the required follow-up.
RCC has an incident checklist for retailers dealing with a positive COVID-19 case. View checklist.
Vancouver Coastal Health has a useful resource guide on response to employee sickness or positive COVID-19 diagnosis.