People with disabilities are a vital, yet often untapped, talent pool for retailers. Together with HR and accessibility experts, RCC has prepared practical resources to help retailers understand and appreciate the range of skills that people with disabilities can offer organizations, and to help retailers remove unnecessary barriers to recruitment.
Past webinars in the EnAbling Change for Retailers series
- Inclusive Hiring – A Growth Strategy for Your Store: Part I: View webinar video recording
- Inclusive Hiring – A Growth Strategy for Your Store: Part II: View webinar video recording
- A Healthy Store – Facts and Figures of Mental Health: View webinar video recording
- A Healthy Store – Workplace Accommodations and Resources for Mental Health: View webinar video recording
- Accessibility hiring – A business case: Cut through the myths and learn about the business benefits of accessible employment practices. View webinar
- Accessibility hiring – A case study I: Learn about Discover Ability from Louie DiPalma of the Ontario Chamber of Commerce. Discover Ability provides tools and resources to help organizations hire, accommodate and retain employees with disabilities. View webinar
- Accessibility hiring – A case study II: Learn more about the positive impact and outcomes from hiring, training and advancing people with disabilities and other barriers to the labour market with Michelle Quintyn and Bev Kobe from Goodwill Industries, Ontario Great Lakes. View webinar
- Accessibility hiring – Putting into practice: Learn how retailers and persons with disabilities can work together to help bridge the employment gaps that exist in our communities Jennifer Gorman, Regional Director of Dolphin Disabilities Mentoring Day. View webinar
- Accessibility retention – Vision disabilities: Gain a better understanding and about common myths and misconceptions often associated with vision loss with CNIB’s Wayne M Henshall. View webinar
- Accessibility retention – Hearing disabilities: Find out more about The W’s of hiring a person with hearing loss, and accommodations for the workplace with Janet Dunlea of Canadian Hearing Society. View webinar
- Accessibility retention – Epilepsy: Learn some common misconceptions in recruitment, as well as tips for recruiting candidates with Epilepsy with Jesse Preston and Angini Mohammed from Epilepsy Toronto. View webinar
- Accessibility retention – Autism: Understand more about Neurodiversity, Autism Spectrum Disorder and best practices for developing and implementing inclusive recruitment strategies with Alicia Xavier from Ready, Willing and Able. View webinar
- Accessibility retention – Intellectual disabilities: Learn more about recruiting and retention of employees with intellectual disabilities with Lili Van Ly, Cassidy Atkinson and Leah Bennink from Corbrook Awakening Abilities. View webinar.
- Accessibility retention – Physical disabilities. Learn about best practices and resources available for the recruitment and retention of employees with Physical Disabilities with Louissa Regier from March of Dimes Canada. View webinar
- Accessibility retention – Spinal cord injuries: Learn about the best practices and resources for recruitment and retention of employees with spinal cord injuries with Lubna Aslam and Errol Cyrus from Spinal Cord Injury Ontario. View webinar
- Mental health in the workplace: Learn from the Canadian Mental Health Association about how mental health issues affect performance in the workplace and solutions you can use to respond and support employees. View webinar
The Ontario Government’s Handbook for Accessible Employment includes free templates that can be downloaded for use in your store’s accommodation processes.
- Sample Accommodation Process Template
- Sample Accommodation Plan Template
- Sample Return to Work Process Template
- Sample Return to Work Plan Template
This guide covers Ontario’s Accessible Employment Standard timelines and best practices. Download guide