RCC has received advance notice that the proposed regulation on corded window coverings will be finalized and published this Wednesday, May 1st which will prohibit the sale of many types of blinds that do not meet the stringent new requirements.
RCC has been advocating for harmonization with the more reasonable US requirements for years. While unfortunately the Government of Canada has decided to proceed with their proposal, RCC was successful in:
- Having them delayed since 2017,
- A prolonged effective date of 12 months after the regulations are published rather than 6 months as was originally proposed.
The Government is remaining silent on whether additional flexibilities have been granted in the final requirements. That being said, they have agreed to work with RCC and its members on implementation and compliance.
- RCC is meeting with the Minister of Health to convey our frustration with the decision and to ensure reasonable and achievable implementation and enforcement for retailers.
- Monitor the situation closely and will advise members of the content of the regulations immediately once they are published.
- Work with members to ensure they comply with the new requirements.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact: Jason McLinton, Vice President, Grocery Division and Regulatory Affairs at: [email protected] or 613-656-7903