75% of Canadians plan to make Easter purchases this year
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TORONTO – April 12, 2022
Retail Council of Canada’s (RCC) recent survey, done in partnership with Caddle, shows that almost 75% of Canadians plan to make purchases this year specifically related to Easter. The survey shows that two in three Canadians celebrate Easter. This year there is a slight increase (3%) in the amount that consumers expect to spend for the holiday, with most (55%) planning to spend on average $50.
Other findings of interest include:
- The top three activities Canadians normally do during the Easter holiday include joining and/or hosting a meal or party and giving or receiving gifts with family and friends.
- Food and beverage retailers and big box retailers will see the biggest share of this spend.
- Food, candies, drinks, and eating out, are the top spending categories for Easter (60%), followed by toys (19%).
- 20% of Canadians make purchases about one week prior to Easter; 15% make purchases two weeks prior to the holiday; and 72% of Canadians make their purchases a few days before the holiday.
- 23% of Canadians plan to spend between $51-$100; and 12% plan to spend between $101-$200.
About the Survey
The comprehensive survey of over 9,000 Canadians from across the country in March, 2022 explored insights for retailers around consumer shopping behaviours for the Easter holiday. Surveys were conducted using Caddle’s mobile platform and online panel. The full survey can be found here.
About Retail Council of Canada
Retail is Canada’s largest private sector employer. Retail Council of Canada (RCC) members represent more than two thirds of retail sales in the country. RCC is a not-for-profit, industry-funded association that represents small, medium and large retail businesses in every community across the country. As the Voice of Retail™ in Canada, we proudly represent more than 45,000 storefronts in all retail formats, including department, grocery, specialty, discount, independent retailers and online merchants. www.retailcouncil.org
For more information or to schedule media interviews, contact:
Michelle Wasylyshen at email@example.com