The COVID-19 pandemic has presented unique challenges for retail employees. To assist retailers, RCC has assembled resources that you can use to help support employees.
The past year has been particularly challenging for all and we know you want to do what is best for your employees while looking after your own wellbeing. RCC has gathered a list of national and regional websites and resources to help you navigate mental health and help you support your staff during these unprecedent times.
Suicide Prevention in the Workplace – Mental Health Commission of Canada
Increased stress, anxiety and depression are all side-effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. For some people, this translates to feelings of hopelessness, despair, or even suicidal thoughts. We need to have meaningful conversations in the workplace about suicide, to provide support and resources, and to bring hope to someone who may be struggling with the thought of suicide. Use this guide to navigate those difficult conversations. It offers information for your own mental health and for employers, managers, and co-workers, along with tips for those who work with the public. Just talking about suicide is one of the best ways to prevent it. View the guide
Mini-Guide for women sidelined from the workforce
Since the onset of COVID-19, and with many businesses being forced to shutter their doors, women are leaving the workforce in droves — often involuntarily. The impact of taking an extended absence from the workforce is multi-faceted, often affecting a woman’s mental, financial, and professional well-being, along with other areas. Not all women are struggling, but for those who are, the right combination of support and practical actions can ease the burden and help them emerge more resilient on the other side. View the guide
Building Mental Health into Operations During a Pandemic
This 62-page guide developed using guidance from the National Standard of Canada on Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace has guidelines to help organizations build a supportive and proactive approach to mental health into their emergency management and business continuity programs. This guide will help employers understand how to manage psychological health and safety (PHS) through events like a pandemic which can make significant and lasting differences in the lives of workers and their families. View the guide.
Canadian Center for Occupational Health and Safety e-Courses
Did you know that about one in five Canadians experience mental health issues at some point during their working years? Mental health is on everyone’s mind right now as we navigate through COVID-19. The Canadian Center for Occupational Health and Safety offers e-courses on various Health and Safety topics, including Mental Health awareness and prevention. To support workplaces during the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, CCOHS has made these helpful resources free of charge. View e-courses
Social Stigma and COVID-19: What Employers Need to Know
Video interview with Dr. Keith Dobson, Professor of Clinical Psychology, University of Calgary.
Support the Mental Health of Retail Workers During COVID-19
Liz Horvath discusses how to work together to support the mental health of retail workers
Building Mental Health into Operations during COVID-19
This is a special session presented by Liz Horvath, a leader in workplace mental health.
Support retailer worker mental health during COVID-19
Links to The Working Mind page with links to free resources focused on workplace mental health.
A free online service for mental health and substance use support, resources, and counselling with a mental health professional.
Resources providing advice for retailers and their employees on how to manage return anxiety as the lockdown shifts.
Additional resources focusing on mental health
- Alberta – Addiction and Mental Health | Alberta Health Services
- British Columbia – Mental Health | HealthLink BC
- Manitoba – Mental Health and Addictions | Health, Seniors and Active Living | Province of Manitoba
- New Brunswick – Addictions and Mental Health
- Newfoundland & Labrador – Mental Health and Addictions – Health and Community Services
- Newfoundland & Labrador – Mental Health
- Northwest Territories – Mental Health Resources and Supports | Health and Social Services Authority
- Northwest Territories – Crisis Lines | Health and Social Services Authority
- Nova Scotia – Mental Health Services | novascotia.ca
- Nunavut – Mental Health | Government of Nunavut
- Ontario – Find mental health support | Ontario.ca
- Prince Edward Island – Mental Health Services | Government of Prince Edward Island
- Quebec – Getting Better My Way (digital tool)
- Quebec – Mouvement Santé mentale Québec (in French)
- Saskatchewan – Mental Health Services | Mental Health Support | Government of Saskatchewan
- Yukon – Mental health and wellness support during COVID-19 | Government of Yukon
Additional resources available from the MHCC COVID-19 Resource Hub
- Tip Sheet for Choosing Resources
- Talking to Someone in Crisis during COVID-19
- How can I help my team poster
- How am I doing poster
- How can I help someone in mental distress poster
- Choosing the mental health resource that’s right for you: not all are created equal
- The Working Mind COVID-19 Self-care & Resilience Guide
- Coping With Stress, Anxiety, And Substance Use During Covid-19
- Virtual Care for Mental Health and Substance Use During COVID-19
- Managing COVID-19 financial stress
- How to manage return anxiety as the lockdown lifts
- Caring for Others: Virtual crisis response training
For more information, please visit COVID-19 Health and Safety Resources.