For RCC`s landing page on Responsible Sourcing, please click here.
Retailers are concerned about the usage of Uzbek cotton in the supply chain due to the usage of forced and child labour, as well as severe environmental impacts. More context is available here. Here are some of our recent actions.
- US J/TIP 2014 report released – Uzbekistan kept at Tier 3 (June 20, 2014)
- Letter to US Secretary of State John Kerry on maintaining Tier 3 status (June 20, 2014)
- World Bank Loans could aid Uzbek Forced Labour (May 29, 2014)
- Industry comments to US State Department concerning Uzbekistan’s placement in the 2014 Trafficking in Persons Report (J/TIP) (January 30, 2014)
- Review of the 2013 Cotton Harvest in Uzbekistan: State Forced-Labour System Continues (November 2013)
North American industry responses to proposed MOUs to purchase cotton from Uzbekistan (October 2013)
- Letter to Ambassador Zhang, Embassy of the People’s Republic of China (Canada)
- Letter to Chairman Hui, China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Textile and Apparel (CCCT)
- Letter to Ambassador Tiankai, Embassy of the People’s Republic of China (USA)
- Joint Association Letter to BGMEA concerning Uzbek Cotton MOU (updated September 20, 2013)