On July 19, 2023, the Quebec government published two draft regulations concerning the modernization of the deposit system:
- Development, implementation and financial support of a deposit-refund system for certain containers, and;
- Certain transitional measures needed for the application of the Act to amend mainly the Environment Quality Act with respect to deposits and selective collection
The first concerns the system to be implemented by the PRO (producer responsibility organization), L’Association québécoise de récupération des contenants de boissons (AQRCB), and the second concerns the transfer of funds accumulated by Recyc-Québec over the years of deposit management.
Following comments made by RCC, the released regulations confirm the following:
- The implementation of EPR deposits and the expansion of targeted containers in two phases:
- November 1, 2023: For current returnable containers and beverages sold in aluminum containers
- March 1, 2025: For all other containers
- Maintaining the 375 m2 sales area for retailers to be covered by the mandatory return of returnable containers.
There will now be a comment period. RCC comments are being drafted in the next weeks. More information will be available as RCC and our Québec-based members continue their work.