Re-closing of non-essential businesses in Quebec as of December 25December 15, 2020
Following a steady rise in the number of COVID-19 cases and the upcoming holiday season, the Quebec government has announced new containment measures for retailers.
- Closure of non-essential businesses for a period of 2 weeks, from December 25 to January 10 inclusively.
- Food retailers, hardware stores, convenience stores, pet stores and pharmacies may remain open, but limit themselves to the sale of items deemed essential. No list will be provided by the government – retailers must use their best judgement. All essential products that are approved to be sold must come from categories that serve the following needs; food, hygiene, health, security and repairs.
- Note that only the sale of essential products, generally sold in businesses included in this list, is authorized. Operators will need to ensure that the necessary measures are in place to prevent access and sale of other products.
- Curbside pickup remains permitted only for businesses who are authorized to continue selling.
- Only traffic areas can be opened in shopping centers to ensure access to businesses that are not affected by the closures from December 25, 2020 to January 10, 2021.
- Personal care services such as hairdressing, manicure and spa services will have to close from December 25, 2020 to January 10, 2021 inclusive, and this, throughout the territory.
- Primary and secondary schools will resume in person lessons on January 11.
- Daycare services in schools will be reserved for health personnel, while early childhood centers will be open, but parents are invited to keep their children at home until January 11.
- Work-from-home will be mandatory from December 17 2020 to Janary 11 2021 for all employees whose physical presence is not essential.
RCC is continuing its efforts to, among other things:
- Ensure as much flexibility as possible regarding pick-up outside the store.
- The establishment of simple, quick and efficient financial support including support measures for non-essential businesses who would like to receive assistance for electronic commerce.
More details are available on the Quebec government website.