As anticipated, the government of Alberta has announced today that effective March 1, the province will proceed with the ending of most remaining restrictions in place to address the pandemic.
Effective March 1:
- Capacity limits will be lifted for all venues, including all retail stores.
- The provincial mask mandate will be lifted, with the exception of high-risk settings such as health facilities and public transit. Employers retain the option of putting in place their own policies related to employee and customer masking requirements.
- Restrictions on interactive activities, liquor service and operating hours will be lifted
- Mandatory work-from-home requirements will be removed.
- Limits on social and public gatherings will be removed.
It should be noted that City of Edmonton mandatory masking bylaw will remain in place until the threshold for the minimum number of active COVID cases is reached, or Council elects to remove the bylaw.
Isolation remains mandatory for anyone with COVID-19 symptoms or a positive test result. These public health protections will remain in place until step three, which will occur at a later date provided hospitalizations continue to decline.
For questions or more information contact
Director, Government Relations (Prairies)