Adjustment of measures in Quebec – closing of gyms in red zone and increasing inspectionsApril 6, 2021
Due to the increase in the number of COVID-19 cases and the proliferation of variants in several regions of Quebec, the government has announced the strengthening of certain health measures. The changes relevant to retailers are:
- Gyms in red zone will have to close as of Thursday, April 8, 2021.
- Although the measures concerning businesses maximum occupancy (restriction on the number of customers admitted to commercial enterprises) remain the same throughout the territory (floor area accessible to customers in m2 ÷ per 20 m2), the government intends to tighten their application.
- A tightening of occupational health and safety inspections is expected.
- The Health Department urges the regional public health departments to use their powers to order the closure of any site without delay if they feel they have “good reason to believe” that the measures or protocols related to COVID-19 are not being applied.
- It is not necessary to wait until epidemiological investigations are completed.
- No changes are planned for curfew periods.
- Starting April 12, 2021, students in grades 9, 10 and 11 that are in the red zone will alternate going to school in person or learning virtually every other day.
- To learn all about the different alert levels and their geographical scope, click here.
- In areas where special emergency measures apply, “non-essential” businesses must be closed, and open businesses can only sell “essential” products.
- In red zone and wherever special emergency measures are in place, restaurant dining rooms must be closed. Takeout and drive-through orders only. Only delivery is possible during the curfew.
- The curfew periods:
- Area where special emergency measures are in place: from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. (businesses must close no later than 7:30 p.m.).
- Orange or red zone: from 9:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. (businesses must close no later than 9 p.m.).
- Yellow zone: no curfew.
- NOTE: The government released an online attestation concerning travel during the curfew.
For more details, visit the government website.