Entry into force:
- Vaccination passports will be deployed on September 1st, 2021 throughout Québec for certain targeted sectors of the economy.
Targeted sectors and activities:
- Bars, restaurants, training halls, gyms, festivals, gyms, large gatherings, cinemas, and public dining areas in businesses and shopping malls.
Excluded sectors and activities:
- Retail stores, shopping malls and restaurants serving take-out orders. (Except dining areas.)
- It should be noted that, beyond essential businesses (grocery stores, pharmacies, and hardware stores), the government reserves the right to extend the application of the vaccination passport to retail businesses as situation evolves during the fourth wave.
- Businesses with dining areas providing seating for customers will be responsible for monitoring that vaccination passport protocols are followed.
- A smartphone application will be available to businesses for scanning QR codes. The operator of the application will only be able to see if the customer has a valid vaccination passport. Further verification of identity will be carried out independently.
- An official webpage (in French only) will be put online with all necessary details, as well as official posters for signage.
- In the food courts of shopping centres, the property management will be responsible for ensuring the proper use of vaccine passports.
- With or without vaccination passports, employees will be able to work in all sectors.
- Penalties ranging from $1,000 to $6,000 will be levied to any citizen and/or merchant who commits an offence. In the event of fraud, the Criminal Code will apply.
- The passport comes into force on September 1, 2021, but sanctions will not be imposed until September 14, 2021 as part of a transition period.
- Managers of fast-food establishments will have to set up separate systems to differentiate between take-out customers (who are exempt from passport requirements) and dine-in customers.
- People vaccinated against COVID-19 outside Quebec (elsewhere in Canada or in another country) will be able to register with the Québec Vaccination Registry.
- They will also be able to present their proof of vaccination on the spot alongside an identity card showing their address.
- Work continues with other provinces and the federal government to align QR codes between regions.