As The Voice of Retail™, RCC is here to help retailers navigate through this crisis.
- Indoor public space mask mandate expanded to include children aged 5 to 11 in B.C.The B.C. Government has announced that its mask mandate for indoor public spaces is being expanded to include children aged 5 to 11. The … Continued
- New protections for employers in AlbertaFollowing Saskatchewan, the Alberta Government will introduce legislation to protect businesses from legal challenges if they require vaccinations for employees or implement the Restriction … Continued
- Updates to quick service public health orders in AlbertaFollowing advocacy by many associations, including RCC, Alberta Health has updated its health orders to allow quick serve restaurants (including those in retail stores) … Continued
- Indoor public space mask mandate expanded to include children aged 5 to 11 in B.C.The B.C. Government has announced that its mask mandate for … Continued
- New protections for employers in AlbertaFollowing Saskatchewan, the Alberta Government will introduce legislation to protect … Continued
- Updates to quick service public health orders in AlbertaFollowing advocacy by many associations, including RCC, Alberta Health has … Continued
- New Brunswick announces two-week circuit breaker in areas with increasing COVID-19 casesIn response to increasing COVID-19 cases in parts of New … Continued
- Newfoundland and Labrador mandates vaccinations for all employees in proof of vaccination settingsFor all business settings that require proof of vaccination for … Continued
- COVID-19 vaccination verification app introduced in Newfoundland and LabradorOn October 8, 2021, the government introduced its COVID-19 vaccination … Continued
- Speech from the Throne emphasizes stability and certainty for businesses, avoidance of lockdownsYesterday morning, the Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, … Continued
- Updates for bulk and self-serve retailers in OntarioToronto changed its policies on the sale of bulk and … Continued
- Theatres and cinemas in Quebec can now operate at full capacityFrom October 8, 2021, indoor events (theatres, sporting events and … Continued
- Atlantic Bubble suspended indefinitelyWith COVID-19 case numbers rising throughout the region, the Atlantic … Continued
- Manitoba announces retail capacity restrictions for Southern Health RegionThe Manitoba government has just announced new proactive measures intended to safeguard … Continued
- Newfoundland and Labrador to end participation in Atlantic BubbleIn response to growing COVID-19 case numbers in the Atlantic … Continued
- Ontario Human Rights Commission policy position: individuals who refuse to get vaccinated (anti-vaxxers) do not have a right to accommodationThe Ontario Human Rights Commission released a policy position last … Continued
- Saskatchewan passport requirement goes into effect FridayThe Saskatchewan government’s recently announced COVID-19 proof-of-vaccination requirement goes into … Continued
- Addressing enforcement challenges in Alberta retail settingsOn Monday, September 27, 2021, RCC met with the Health … Continued
In these challenging times, RCC welcomes retailers across Canada to subscribe to our Retail policy news & COVID-19 updates and attend our weekly Member Town Hall Briefings. We are your voice during this crisis and beyond.
COVID-19 Recovery Tools
Mission-critical metrics to help the Canadian retail sector navigate COVID-19.
Interactive calculators to determine the store capacity in your region.
Current information available on vaccinations applicable for retail employees.
View all regulations and safety guidelines retailers must follow to be open by region.
Financial aid, grants and other relief measures specifically applicable to retailers.
Frequently asked questions from our members on working through COVID-19 and its operational challenges.
Take the POST Promise to help customers feel safe in your store.
Find suppliers of masks, hand sanitizer, signage and more in the new PPE section of the Retail Supplier Directory.
Posters, SOPs and best practices for retailers during COVID-19
Videos and Podcasts
Joseph Cohen Lyons, Senior Associate with Norton Rose Fulbright Canada answered the most frequently asked questions by our retail members around vaccination policies, vaccination incentivizing and more.
Financial support and payroll resources
- Federal support:
- RCC’s guide to Federal relief measures (see Federal relief measures section)
- New rules for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)
- Government of Canada Work-Share overview
- Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA)
- Loans for small & medium businesses: Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP)
- Canada Small Business Financing Program
- Government’s overview of federal government Services for Small Business
- Provincial support: RCC’s guide to relief measures and updates (see interactive table to view your region)
- Municipal support: RCC’s database of utility payment extensions, municipal relief and more
- Rent support for small businesses: Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) for small
- Payroll: Canadian Payroll Association on ROE coding
- Workers’ compensation: 2020 provincial workers’ compensation updates for retailers
- Stewardship programs: Stewardship Programs Offering COVID-19 Deadline Extensions
Maintaining your business
- HR recovery planning: Managing return to work anxiety
- Impact on consumer behaviour: Tracking the impact of FMCG, retail and media (Neilson)
- Consumers surveys: Tracking surveys (Leger)
- Consumer education: #ShopSmart campaign – Guidelines shoppers should follow during COVID-19 (RCC)
- Statistics: Info on COVID-19 (Statistics Canada)
- Pandemic planning for retailers: COVID-19 planning checklist for retailers (RCC)
- Business continuity: A guide to robust business continuity planning (KPMG)
- Impact on Canadian retailers: COVID-19 Voice of Canadians and impact to retailers (Deloitte)
- Guide for senior executives: The heart of resilient leadership: Responding to COVID-19 (Deloitte)
- Resources for retailers: Retail Industry Leaders Association
- Fraud Prevention: Tips to protect yourself from COVID-19 related payment scams (Interac)
- Cyber Security: Helpful advice for small and medium organizations to protect against COVID-19-related threats
- Interactive dashboard: Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Situational Awareness Dashboard
Thank you to the retailers, vendors and suppliers who have extended financial support to Retail Council of Canada to help us continue to advocate for you 24/7 during these difficult times.