As The Voice of Retail™, RCC is here to help retailers navigate through this crisis.
- OECD 2020 Employment Outlook releasedAs the effects of the pandemic and containment measures hit OECD economies, millions of people have been unable to go to work, resulting in … Read more
- Managing return to work anxietyThe Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) has developed a tip sheet that offers practical advice for retailers and their employees on how to … Read more
- City of Toronto outlines retailer “no mask, no service” responsibilitiesToronto has issued guidance material to support retailers in understanding their responsibilities under the upcoming “no mask , no service” policy. This information includes … Read more
- OECD 2020 Employment Outlook releasedAs the effects of the pandemic and containment measures hit … Read more
- Managing return to work anxietyThe Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) has developed a … Read more
- City of Toronto outlines retailer “no mask, no service” responsibilitiesToronto has issued guidance material to support retailers in understanding … Read more
- Mandatory face covering in public places in Montreal, QuébecThe City of Montreal will pass a by-law on mandatory face covering … Read more
- Quebec threatens to shut down retailers who do not enforce social distancingSocial distancing is required to keep workers and consumers safe. … Read more
- Government of Quebec threatens to shut down retailers who do not enforce social distancingSocial distancing is required to keep workers and consumers safe. … Read more
- Ottawa and Waterloo mandate face coverings in public placesMore regions across the province are introducing by-laws outlining how … Read more
- New sampling regulations for low-risk OTCs and natural health productsOn March 13, 2020, CUSMA received Royal Assent and included … Read more
- The office commute: Three considerations for retailers bringing people back to the officeWhile stores have started re-opening across most retail sectors, the … Read more
- Mayors across Ontario move to ‘no mask, no service’ by-lawsMayors from the Toronto, Peel, York and the Hamilton area … Read more
- BC amends recycling regulation changing product stewardship for packagingThe B.C. Government has amended the Recycling Regulation. Effective February … Read more
- An additional month of CECRA rent reliefEarlier today, the Prime Minister announced an extension of the … Read more
- Join retailers across Canada and display the POST PromiseWhat is the Post Promise? The POST Promise is a … Read more
- Face coverings recommended for all Nova ScotiansThe Chief Medical Officer of Health now recommends that all … Read more
- Municipality of Côte-St-Luc, Quebec making face coverings mandatoryBeginning July, 1, 2020, face coverings are required to be … Read more
View more federal and regional updates on our Relief Measures by Regions page.
In these challenging times, RCC welcomes all retailers across Canada to subscribe to our Retail Policy Updates & COVID-19 News and attend our Webinars for Retailers. We are your voice during this crisis and beyond.
Videos and Podcasts
COVID-19: Handling, packaging and shipping food
The Voice of Retail Podcast
On the latest episode Andrew Armstrong from omNovos joins Michael Leblanc to talk about their perspectives on retail data strategy, the “jump ball” opportunity of the COVID-19 crisis, and how retailers can start their journey towards harnessing consumer data to create genuine loyalty.
View RCC’s Retail Recovery Playbook as well as checklists and templates.
View all regulations and safety guidelines retailers must follow to be open by region.
Frequently asked questions from our members on working through COVID-19 and its operational challenges.
Updates and current COVID-19 measures in place both federally and in each province and territory.
Many municipalities and utility companies have delayed their deadlines for property tax payments and utility bills.
RCC has summarized the latest regulations on curbside pickup.
Posters, SOPs and best practices for retailers during COVID-19
Services available for RCC members and access to webinar recordings.
RCC is here to assist retailers in finding employees, while also helping displaced workers find jobs.
Financial support and payroll resources
- Federal support:
- RCC’s guide to Federal relief measures (see Federal “Support for business” section)
- Understanding the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)
- Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
- The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy – Backgrounder
- Government of Canada Work-Share overview and contact
- Loans for small & medium businesses: Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP)
- Provincial support: RCC’s guide to relief measures and updates (see “Support for business” section for your region)
- Municipal support: RCC’s database of utility payment extensions, municipal relief and more
- Rent support for small businesses: Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) for small
- Payroll: Canadian Payroll Association on ROE coding
- Workers’ compensation: 2020 provincial workers’ compensation updates for retailers
- Stewardship programs: Stewardship Programs Offering COVID-19 Deadline Extensions
Maintaining your business
- HR recovery planning: Managing return to work anxiety
- Consumer education: #ShopSmart campaign – Guidelines shoppers should follow during COVID-19 (RCC)
- Pandemic planning for retailers: COVID-19 planning checklist for retailers (RCC)
- Business continuity: A guide to robust business continuity planning (KPMG)
- Impact on consumer behaviour: Tracking the impact of FMCG, retail and media (Neilson)
- Consumers surveys: Tracking surveys (Leger)
- Guide for senior executives: The heart of resilient leadership: Responding to COVID-19 (Deloitte)
- Emergency planning: 8 steps for planning your emergency and disaster plan (BDC)
- Impact on Canadian retailers: COVID-19 Voice of Canadians and impact to retailers (Deloitte)
- Resources for retailers: Retail Industry Leaders Association
- Fraud Prevention: Tips to protect yourself from COVID-19 related payment scams (Interac)
- Cyber Security: Helpful advice for small and medium organizations to protect against COVID-19-related threats
- Statistics: Info on COVID-19 (Statistics Canada)
Thank you to the retailers, vendors and suppliers who have extended financial support to Retail Council of Canada to help us continue to advocate for you 24/7 during these difficult times.