As The Voice of Retail™, RCC is here to help retailers navigate through this crisis.
Advocating for you: Support the plan for safe reopening in Ontario
- Ontario grants announcedOntario grants for small business Ontario’s previously announced flexible supports for small business can now be applied for. Ontario will provide up to $20,000 … Continued
- Nfld and Lab. government increases income threshold for Essential Worker Support ProgramThe government announced that it is increasing the income threshold for its Essential Service Worker Support Program (wage subsidy) to allow more essential workers … Continued
- Manitoba extends deadline and criteria for small business Bridge GrantThe Manitoba government has announced it is extending the Manitoba Bridge Grant application deadline from January 8, 2021 until January 31, 2021 and expanding … Continued
- Ontario grants announcedOntario grants for small business Ontario’s previously announced flexible supports … Continued
- Nfld and Lab. government increases income threshold for Essential Worker Support ProgramThe government announced that it is increasing the income threshold … Continued
- Manitoba extends deadline and criteria for small business Bridge GrantThe Manitoba government has announced it is extending the Manitoba … Continued
- Saskatchewan extends restrictions to January 29, 2021As anticipated, the Government of Saskatchewan has extended current restrictions … Continued
- Timing for Ontario vaccination rollout announcedPhase One of the vaccination implementation program in Ontario includes … Continued
- Ontario’s new stay-at-home orderThe Ontario government has announced a new emergency stay-at-home order, … Continued
- BC extends gathering and events restrictions to February 5Dr. Bonnie Henry announced that BC’s Gathering and Events Order will be … Continued
- For retailers with stores in Quebec: Working within two metresThe Commission des normes, de l’équité et de la santé … Continued
- Manitoba extends Public Health Orders until January 22, 2021The Manitoba government has extended public health orders, including restrictions … Continued
- Nova Scotia loosens COVID-19 restrictions regarding retail capacity and tightens the border with New BrunswickGood news for Nova Scotia retailers: Beginning January 11, 2021: … Continued
- Alberta announces an extension of public health measures, including maintaining the 15% retail capacity restrictionWhile current measures have begun to flatten the curve, active … Continued
- Shopkeeper’s prerogative and “No Mask, No Service” policiesRCC has been made aware of a number of retailers … Continued
- Ontario announces continued closures for north, and for schoolsEarlier today, Ontario announced that the lockdown of northern Ontario … Continued
- Prince Edward Island to ease a number of COVID-19 restrictionsAs of Wednesday, January 6, 2021 at 8am the province … Continued
- New Brunswick has moved into the Orange Level due to case count increaseDue to a recent increase in cases, the entire province … Continued
In these challenging times, RCC welcomes all retailers across Canada to subscribe to our Retail policy news & COVID-19 updates and attend our weekly COVID-19 briefings for retailers. We are your voice during this crisis and beyond.
COVID-19 Recovery Tools
Mission-critical metrics to help the Canadian retail sector navigate COVID-19.
Interactive calculators to determine the store capacity in your region.
Take the POST Promise to help customers feel safe in your store.
View all regulations and safety guidelines retailers must follow to be open by region.
Financial aid, grants and other relief measures specifically applicable to retailers.
Frequently asked questions from our members on working through COVID-19 and its operational challenges.
Find suppliers of masks, hand sanitizer, signage and more in the new PPE section of the Retail Supplier Directory.
Posters, SOPs and best practices for retailers during COVID-19
Videos and Podcasts
Building mental health into operations during COVID-19
This special session presented by Liz Horvath, a leader in workplace mental health, provides practical advice that employers in the retail sector can use to support their own mental health and the mental health of their workers.
The Voice of Retail Podcast
Each and every week TVOR interviews top retailers and industry thought leaders coving topics including the ongoing response and impact to their business and the retail sector of the COVID-19 crisis.
Financial support and payroll resources
- Federal support:
- RCC’s guide to Federal relief measures (see Federal relief measures section)
- New rules for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)
- Government of Canada Work-Share overview
- Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA)
- Loans for small & medium businesses: Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP)
- Canada Small Business Financing Program
- Government’s overview of federal government Services for Small Business
- Provincial support: RCC’s guide to relief measures and updates (see interactive table to view your region)
- Municipal support: RCC’s database of utility payment extensions, municipal relief and more
- Rent support for small businesses: Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) for small
- Payroll: Canadian Payroll Association on ROE coding
- Workers’ compensation: 2020 provincial workers’ compensation updates for retailers
- Stewardship programs: Stewardship Programs Offering COVID-19 Deadline Extensions
Maintaining your business
- HR recovery planning: Managing return to work anxiety
- Impact on consumer behaviour: Tracking the impact of FMCG, retail and media (Neilson)
- Consumers surveys: Tracking surveys (Leger)
- Consumer education: #ShopSmart campaign – Guidelines shoppers should follow during COVID-19 (RCC)
- Statistics: Info on COVID-19 (Statistics Canada)
- Pandemic planning for retailers: COVID-19 planning checklist for retailers (RCC)
- Business continuity: A guide to robust business continuity planning (KPMG)
- Impact on Canadian retailers: COVID-19 Voice of Canadians and impact to retailers (Deloitte)
- Guide for senior executives: The heart of resilient leadership: Responding to COVID-19 (Deloitte)
- Resources for retailers: Retail Industry Leaders Association
- Fraud Prevention: Tips to protect yourself from COVID-19 related payment scams (Interac)
- Cyber Security: Helpful advice for small and medium organizations to protect against COVID-19-related threats
- Interactive dashboard: Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Situational Awareness Dashboard
Thank you to the retailers, vendors and suppliers who have extended financial support to Retail Council of Canada to help us continue to advocate for you 24/7 during these difficult times.