For retailers with stores in Quebec: Working within two metresJanuary 8, 2021
The Commission des normes, de l’équité et de la santé et sécurité au travail (CNESST) has clear guidance concerning social distancing for workers :
- Whenever possible, a minimum of 2 metres of distancing between people must be maintained at work, from arrival to departure;
- This distance must also be maintained during breaks and lunch hour. If it is impossible to maintain at least 2 metres of physical distancing during breaks and lunch, evaluate the
- possibility of adapting the break schedules;
- Physical barriers (full partitions) have been installed between the different workstations that are too close to each other or that cannot be spaced;
- A procedure mask and protective eyewear (protective glasses or visor covering the face down to the chin) are supplied per employee to personnel who perform a task requiring them to be within 2 metres of another person and in the absence of physical barriers;
- The members of the personnel whose tasks absolutely require them to be within 2 metres of another person without a physical barrier wear the required protective equipment.
For its part, the National Institute of Public Health of Québec (INSPQ) has published support documents such as the Guide on preventive measures for businesses and all details concerning the required PPE are available in the Hierarchy of Controls in the Workplace document (INSPQ documents available only in French).
Regarding the use of procedure masks, the INSPQ has published a document explaining its position and providing advice on ensuring an adequate supply of equipment. In addition, since December 2020, it is possible for employers to provide certified reusable masks to employees who cannot respect social distancing; More information available on certification standards via the Bureau de la normalisation du Québec.